Bring your group to Wai-o-tapu Camp where you'll enjoy the unique atmosphere of cabin accommodation and the isolation 5km inside the Wai-o-tapu exotic forest. Ideal for schools, youth groups family groups, training camps and even weddings.
The camp is located inside Wai-o-tapu Forest on the edge Kaiangaroa Forest and the slopes of Rainbow Mountain (Te Tihi o Maunga Kakaramea). It is close to the Tourist Mecca of the Wai-o-tapu Thermal Reserve and the well known Kerosene creek thermal swimming hole. It is surrounded by exotic plantation forest and enjoys a pristine creek at its doorstep.
Outdoor adventure activities
The camp has an adventure playground suitable for children up to 12yrs old. There are walking tracks to Rainbow Mountain, Echo Lake and along our own unspoilt stream. There are mountain bike tracks on Rainbow Mountain. We are only 20 minutes drive from Rotorua and 30 minutes from Taupo, Both cities with many Tourist attractions.
Affordable accommodation for all group sizes (link)
We endeavour to provide affordable facilities, charging from only $8.00/person for school groups, because each group must thoroughly clean the camp prior to departure. We only hire to one group at a time and we can cater for 86 people. Our ex Forest Service cabins are unique with two cabins that go back to pre 1916. These were used by prison labour planting the great Kaiangaroa Forest that we see today on its third rotation of pine trees. There is a large dining and kitchen area, a large attached recreation hall, separate toilets and showers, and space for tents and campervans.
Our 25 cabins sleep 86 people comfortably. There are twelve 6 bed cabins, one two berth cabin and 12 single cabins with 10 extra mattresses to cater for unforeseen extra people. The two bedroom cabin (Palmer Hut) is for the use of Camp leader and is more spacious. There is also ample room for tents or a Marque and parking for motorhomes.
6 bunk hut
6 bunk hut (inside)
Single bunk hut
Palmer's hut (2 bunk hut)
Fully equipped kitchen
The kitchen is fully equipped for self catering
- Commercial gas stove with electric oven
- Standard domestic range
- 1 deep freeze
- 2 fridge/freezers
- 1 food warmer
- 1 dish washer/steriliser
- Commercial 6 slice toaster
- Crockery, cutlery, pots, baking dishes & bowls are supplied
Adjoining the kitchen, the dining room seats up to 72 people comfortably. It has long tables and bench seats. The room opens into the hall and onto a grassed playing area and stream.
The gas heated hall is adjacent to the dining kitchen area and has an area for safe (approx 2m high from floor of hall) rock wall climbing. The hall opens out onto a large, covered, north facing verandah overlooking a grassed area, a stream and forested views.
There are two separate toilet blocks for girls and boys and two toilets for adults. There are two shower/ablution blocks for girls and boys and two for adults. There is a laundry room and a drying room.
On this page you will find information about how to book, what you should bring, and how much it will cost. Our Functions page has more info...
To enquire about a booking date, please send an email.
Check in time is 3pm onwards. Departure time is 12pm unless arranged prior to booking.
Please read the Waiotapu Camp Bookings Terms and Conditions.
Wai-o-Tapu Forest School Camp Fees
|School groups:||$8.00 per person per day/night (minimum charge per night $300.00)|
|Other groups||$12.00 per person per day/night (minimum charge per day/night $350.00 minimum charge per long weekend $700.00)|
|All groups:||10% discount for staying 3 nights or longer|
Fees apply to all guests whether bunking, tenting or sleeping in a campervan or car.
Children under five years stay free.
Deposit: $100.00 is required to confirm your booking.
Cancellation Policy: no refund outside two months of arrival date or at the discretion of the committee.
What to bring:
- Toilet Paper
- Rubbish Bags
- Food and Cleaning Supplies
Wai-o-tapu Camp Bookings Terms and Conditions
Groups hiring the Wai-o-tapu Camp facilities agree to the following Terms and Conditions:
- Arrival/ Departure : Check in after 3pm. Check out before 12 noon
- Cancellations must be made within one calendar month of the occupancy date. Refunds will be made at the discretion of the management and committee.
- What to bring: Bedding, Toilet Paper, Toiletries, Rubbish Bags, Food and Cleaning Supplies.
- Responsibility: All groups must have an adult Group Leader present on site at all times and responsible for their groups general behaviour and for breakages or damage to property during the time of occupancy. Every care must be taken by groups to avoid damage to buildings and contents. Damage is to be reported to the Camp Resident.
- Cleaning: The Camp must be thoroughly cleaned before departure. A check list will be provided. Cleaning gear and cloths are provided by the camp. We reserve the right to charge a cleaning fee if cleaning is not done to a sufficient standard.
- Keys: The Camp Resident will issue Keys and Checklist to the Group Leader to be returned on the morning of departure with Group numbers.
- No loud noise or music permitted after midnight.
- Groups must make themselves conversant with the fire emergency procedures, fire exits, location of the fire pumps. Fire drill practice must be carried out.
- Candles, matches and all naked lights are strictly prohibited in all the buildings.
- No smoking in buildings. The lighting of fires is not permitted.
- The Committee reserves the right to refuse any group of booking.
- Animals are not permitted at the camp without prior approval at time of booking.
- The Client agrees to accept all risks, and will not hold Wai-o-tapu Camp Trust, or any of their employees or agents responsible or make any claim against them (including claims arising from negligence) for any direct or indirect injury or damage to the Client or its property. The Client agrees that any claim in respect of any damage and/or injury to other persons and/or property is its responsibility and not the responsibility of Wai-o-tapu Camp Trust or their employees or agents and hereby indemnify Wai-o-tapu Camp Trust against any loss, damage or claim whatsoever arising against them. The client must provide their own medical and/ or travel insurance to cover their expenses in cases of unforeseen circumstances. The client must provide any medical details that may adversely affect their participation (e.g. asthma, pregnancy, chronic conditions) at the time of booking, so that we may discuss contingency planning with you. This hire agreement is governed in all respects by the laws of New Zealand and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of New Zealand. Visitors to New Zealand must have full insurance due to limited ACC cover. The Client accepts that adventure activities have inherent risks, and can be dangerous. The Client understands that these risks include (but are not limited to): illness, navigational difficulties, rough walking conditions, poor weather, and mishaps resulting in injury, all of which may occur in isolated areas. The Client accepts all responsibility and liability for ensuring their own safety. Wai-o-tapu Camp Trust reserve the right to withdraw any person who it believes is likely to be a danger to themselves or others.
Air Training Cadet enjoying the Burma trail
A natural setting with established grounds in a beautiful location central to Rotorua and Taupo with a fully equipped catering kitchen, a large hall and dining area with accommodation for 86 people from only $8.00 per person per night. There is also room to erect a large marquee.
For photos, videos and more information visit our facebook page.
Suppliers we recommend:
- Affordable Functions
- Stretch Tents BOP
- URLS??? New Zealand Weddings & New Zealand Wedding Services - NZ Wedding Planner
- Rotorua and Taupo Suppliers/ Caterers: Fat Dog Cafe, El Mono Loco, Brownie's Spit Spectacular, The Original Spit Roast Catering Company, The Catering Co., Gourmet Shuttle, Absolute DJs, The Rotorua Wedding Booklet
Misty morning view of camp